Here I use gelatin to size art paper - my favourite, Saunders Waterford 300gsm HP - and harden it in a second stage dipping the paper in 0.6% glyoxal solutionRead More
Some Notes and Thoughts as I Go Along
These blogs try to capture things that I am experimenting with, right at the time I doing the testing and learning
Enjoy my blogs
This is the first time I have ever made - or even see made - a tissue for carbon transfer photographic printing. I list all the things I need and all the steps I took.
A good starting point for development - if you forgive the punRead More
On occasions I find that some of my gum prints are stained yellow, which does not come out with washing. This is due to the dichromate being trapped in the paper or somehow attached to the surface of the paper. This is a well recognised phenomenon and the recommended treatment is to clear it with sodium metabisulphite.
These notes were taken while I tried this clearing technique - see how well it worked.Read More
I have been exploring the freedom that I get from a photographic printing that uses pigments, because I can use white pigment and start with a paper that is mid-toned. However, I'm finding that using the gum bichromate does not carry as much pigment as I would like.
Here I explore whether this could be achieved with white in the "carbon transfer process'.Read More
I've been playing with edges within photographs for many years - here I'm playing with masking fluid to create a sharp edge on a face in profile.
I'm using the image I call The Knowing Smile, which you can see in the Gum Gallery. I want to bring out the face more by only preparing part of the paper where the subject is - with a loose edge except around the face.Read More